Sunday, November 20, 2011

Hope for the Scanners

I have always been know as 'scatty'. School report cards would describe a young girl with her head in the clouds. Unfocused. Non-committed. And, although it wasn't explicitely stated, maybe even a little stupid. I flitted from piano to singing to guitar, unable to cement my interest in any one thing. My list of career pursuits (all of which have never fully come into fruition) is extensive: At some point in my life, I have explored the realms of journalism, commerce, acting, psychology, chiropractic, nutrition and fashion design. I worryingly looked on as my friends enjoyed a linear path from school to university to career, while I dallied and deliberated.

But what if this wasn't such a bad thing? According to Barbera Sher, author of Refuse to Choose, it isn't.

I am what is known as a "scanner" - someone who has many different interests, and finds it hard to have a successful life because their many passions are pulling them in many different directions.

It always irks me when I read articles about how finding your one true passion will lead to success and fulfillment. Sure, there are many people who've known from a very early age what they want to do in their life. But what about the rest of us, floundering in a sea of endless possibilities? Are we doomed to drown?

Sher doesn't think so.

The Scanner philosophy redefines what commitment is. Instead of 'knuckling down and getting on with it', one should be committed to following their heart. And when you're heart's not in it, you bravely move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment